Took Miralax mixture with Gadorade. Have nausea and light bowel movement. Now given Golytely before colonoscopy. Suggest?

Psychiatrist
Question
Yesterday, I took a Miralax mixture with Gadorade and had to drink six full glasses. It made me nauseous and my bowels never emptied completely. My GET cancelled my colonoscopy today because I am not clean enough. Now I have it scheduled for Wed. the 11th. I'm very upset because he is now giving me Golytely and I have to drink at least three liters before the test. I'm already nervous about the test and I don't want to fail the prep again. what do you think of the enema for a decent prep? It's quick and easy and I think effective. Is there any other effective way to clean out the bowels.?????
thank, XXXXXXX Walker
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
goletely and enema both are good choices.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through what you have mentioned and I can understand what you are going through.
You understand the importance of proper bowel prep before a colonoscopy. Both golytely and enema are good choices. Infact the oral routes should be tried and if it is unsuccessful then enema should be gone ahead with rather than postponing the procedure. If you are nauseous with the oral preparation then you should Iinsist for enema. It is safe quick and easy with no harm.
Hope I am able to help you with your concerns.
If you have any further queries I will be more than happy to help you.
Wish you good health.
Thanks and regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Follow-up: Took Miralax mixture with Gadorade. Have nausea and light bowel movement. Now given Golytely before colonoscopy. Suggest? 12 hours later
I tried a Fleet enema three weeks ago and it wasn't every effective to help with constipation. to prep before a colonoscopy, do the doctors use a stronger solution/enema? Do you do it at home?

Thanks for the information.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Warm saline enema.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Warm saline enema are good and are generally given in a hospital but not at home.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Follow-up: Took Miralax mixture with Gadorade. Have nausea and light bowel movement. Now given Golytely before colonoscopy. Suggest? 2 days later
I have a few bourse before I have to join Healthcare Magic again. Thanks for the responses about methods of prep before a colonoscopy. I am going to try to convince my GET to go the enema/hospital route on Monday. I have been feeling like crap for about six weeks and I really don't think I can swallow four liters og Golytely every fifteen minutes. Yesterday, I felt pretty good and did some garden work and made supper. Today, I feel awful........hot sweats, weak tired, abdominal pains. I am nervous and wonder if these are anxiety symptoms? Don't know where to turn, but here. I just took two Tylenol.

Thanks,,,, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for the follow up query.
Anxiety disorder is a persistent disorder and also recurrant. It causes symptoms recurrantly and there is no identifiable cause. In your case there is an apparant cause and the symptoms occur only transiently. It can be kept as a differential byt then your constipation has to be take care of first.
You should certainly go for enema and do drink plenty of water.
Hope that helpa
Dr. Srikanth Reddy