Took MRI for LSS. What does report indicate and treatment?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
i recently took MRI for LSS..on which the reports indicates that indenting the anterior thecal sac and abutting bilateral traversing what does it means do i really have to go for a surgery or by medicine or by doing exericise will i get relief.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is not indicated at this stage.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the MRI report attached.The MRI report is indicative of mild compression of the nerves in the spine by disc bulge. The treatment includes medications to reduce neuropathic pain . Apart from that physiotherapy to strengthen back muscles is also required. During increased pain hot fomentation, application of ointments etc gives relief. Since problem is mild, surgery is not indicated at this stage.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Follow-up: Took MRI for LSS. What does report indicate and treatment? 4 hours later
Thanks a lot Doctor..

just wanted to known how many days will it takes to get fully fit & what sort of medication should i go for..coz 15days before i was on traction as i was having very severe pain.

What precaution should i take in future to avoid such circumstances.& also please suggest some medicines.

Thanks & Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Usually takes six weeks to three months to improve

Detailed Answer:

It will usually takes six weeks to three months to improve with conservative treatment. You may need to include muscle relaxant with analgesic,and neurotropic medicines.

You must avoid any activity that aggravates the condition, like bending forward and lifting heavy objects, sitting long hours on computer, inappropriate sitting posture, etc.

Do regular physiotherapy, especially exercises that strengthen your back. Kindly note that exercises should only be done when it doesn't hurt. Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc.

You can take anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain. Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.