Took Levonella after unprotected sex. Noticed spotting and abdominal cramps. Is there a risk of pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I took the levonelle 1500 about 36 hours after unprotected sex (condom broke) 10 days ago. My last period started on29/30th october and finished Sunday 3rd Nov. Yesterday and today (due period on Saturday/Suday) I am getting a dark brown colouration when wiping after going to the toilet. I have abdominal cramps, headahces, spots, =- my usual signs of pending period. But i am still concerned this may be implantation bleeding as there was a small streak of light blood last night only the once...but back to brown today. THankyou Just wanted to knoe if there was a risk of being pregnant?
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibility of pregnancy is less Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. As you took the emergency pill within 72 hours, the possibility of pregnancy is less. Emergency pill can present with side effects like menstrual irregularity, pain abdomen, nausea etc. For more details : WWW.WWWW.WW So, possibly the symptoms you are having could be due to emergency pill. Brown colored blood usually indicates collected blood in the endometrium. If you still have doubt regarding pregnancy, wait till your expected date of periods and go for blood test for pregnancy. This will help in ruling out the possibility of pregnancy. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.

Follow-up: Took Levonella after unprotected sex. Noticed spotting and abdominal cramps. Is there a risk of pregnancy? 3 minutes later
Thankyou, would the possibilty of pregnancy still be small even if we had intercourse during (possibly) ovulation time?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Depends on time gap Detailed Answer: Hi, The overall protective rate of emergency contraceptive pill ranges from 90 to 25 %. This depends on the time gap between the intercourse and intake of tablet. If you took the pill early, the protective efficacy is more. This applies to ovulatory period also. Take care.

Follow-up: Took Levonella after unprotected sex. Noticed spotting and abdominal cramps. Is there a risk of pregnancy? 26 hours later
Hi, I took a clear blue pregnancy test first thing this morning and it was negative, but I still feel 'on edge'. Im due my period tomorrow or Sunday and am still worried about beign pregnant until it arrives? I also found the top of the failed condom inside me last night, almost 2 weeks after we had sex!! Will this make any difference to anything? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Pregnancy test after crossing the expected date Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. As you took emergency pill, no need to worry about the failure of condom. Urine pregnancy test kit may not give accurate result in early pregnancy. For more details : http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/05/pregnancy-tests.html So, better option is waiting for your expected date of periods. And if you miss the periods, go for blood test for pregnancy for better results. If not you can repeat the urine pregnancy test after 4 to 5 days of missed period. Don't worry, the possibility of pregnancy is less. Take care.