Took Ipill. Had regular period after sex. Have uterine fibroids. Take Ipill again after unsafe sex?

May 2013
i had an i pill 20 days back foll unsafe sex.My periods were on time, although scanty for first 3 days.After sex on the 5th day of my cycle,i had regular bleeding for arnd 9 days.Today that is 14 days after my periods began, i had unsafe sex again . .
Im 43 yrs and have had abortions last 3 yrs every year.i have small uterine fibroids which on USound seem harmless.IM in normal health otherwise .
shd i take another I PILL TODAY.pL REPLY ASAP
shd i take another I PILL today?
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
thanks for the query.

i pill is emergency contraceptive pill containing levonorgestrel.
bleeding for 3 to 7 days is considered normal but for 9 days is something abnormal.
you didn't mention regarding your previous cycles, like what is the length of your usual periods?
your prolonged periods can be due to,
- side effect of i pill
- menorrhagea due to fibroid
- as part of perimenopausal phase

now what you can do is,
-you have to take i pill now because as you are on 14th day of your cycle, in case of regular cycles this period is ovulatory period with high risk to have pregnancy.
-but please remember that i pill is emergency pill only which should not be used repeatedly.
by repeated usage it can cause side effects like nausea, head ache, irregular periods etc.
-consult your gynecologist and discuss regarding your prolonged periods and choose some regular contraceptive method appropriate to your age and parity with her advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.
take care.