Took Doxycycline for treatment of cellulitis acquired from razor. Why is there bloating, cramps, nausea?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I took Doxycycline 100mg twice daily for treatment of cellulitis that I acquired from a razor cut on the lower leg. Now I cannot eat without painful bloating,cramps,nausea and severe constipation. Please help I am miserable.
Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

All the symptoms you have mentioned are known side effects of Doxycycline

To overcome from these you need to stop doxycycline and take a better antibiotic and take the following medications

1. A good proton pump inhibitor
2. Domperidone tablet
3. A good probiotic

For constipation add fiber to your regular diet and take plenty of fluids orally

If the stool is hard take Liquid Paraffin and if there are slack movements take Psyllum husk

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Get Well Soon