Took Clexane injections. Cannot walk, pain in leg. Had stroke. Suggestion?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
My mom took Clexane, injections starting last Friday and starting Sunday, she can't walk without feeling tremendous pain in her right leg. She had a stroke about 3 months ago. Now she is home. Prior to Clexane, she was fine. Starting to walk again and regaining strength in her left leg and arm, the side where the stroke happend.
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 41 minutes later
Thank you for your question.
As you mother's stroke affected her left side then she is going to have to use her right side more than she was previously in order to walk. Therefore, she is putting more strain on this side. This may cause more pain in her leg in the early stages of her rehabilitation. Also, now she is home, she may have different physical challenges to manage than she did when in hospital. Again, putting additional strains on her body.
Clexane injections can be painful and cause some muscle bruising. This can be painful when these muscles are used.
Recovery from a stroke can be a long process. You may gain some help by consulting a physiotherapist for advice on exercises that may aid strengthening and recovery of her affected muscles.
I hope this has been of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger