Took Avodart. Having side effects. What to do?

I am having a major ongoing issue. I'm 27. I took Avodart from 22-25. I was experiencing major side effects, ie no sex drive, erectile problems etc. Even body changes. I quit the drug but the problems still remain. What do I do ? I cant take it anymore. Is there anything I can take. I have had tons of blood tests that come back normal. I masterbate 3-5 x a week. Maybe that is my problem?
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Problem less likely due to Avodart use in past.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     27 year old male
•     History of Avodart use for 3 years till 2 year back
•     Complaints of: erectile dysfunction with normal test reports

Avodart contain Dutasteride, which inhibits conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (more active hormone). It increases the risk of erectile dysfunction (ED) and decrease sexual desire, which you also had during its use.

You have already stopped medicine for 2 years. Currently you are masturbating 3-5 times a week, which indicate normal sex drive. Considering stoppage of drug 2 years back and normal sex drive, it is less likely that your current problem is due to Avodart use. There is need to find out exact cause for ED in your case.

Erectile dysfunction can be a result of a psychological or physical problem.

Psychological causes: Most common cause in young patients. These include performance anxiety, stress, marital or relationship problems, low mood, feelings of guilt, and the effects of a past sexual and emotional trauma. Men with psychological problem usually have normal nocturnal erections and erections upon awakening, whereas men with physical problem often do not.

Physical causes: Include neurological disorders, alcoholism, smoking, drug abuse, hormonal imbalances, diabetes, hypertension, obesity, blood vessel disease and any other chronic diseases.

-Let me know if you have any of this risk factors.
-It will be helpful if you tell about name of investigations, which were normal in your case, to understand your case better and to recommend you some investigation.
-Let me know if you have normal erection during masturbation.

Erection do not get affected by masturbation in long term. If you have normal erection during masturbation and poor erection during sex it indicate conditioning of body for masturbation, which will solve after few days of stoppage of masturbation.

Overall your case appear very much treatable. Waiting for above information from you.

Wish you good health.