Too sleepy during day time even after a good night sleep. Is it harmful ?

Question
Hi: i can sleep......but i am so sleepy during the day, no matter how much sleep i get....I think that it is harnful to sleep too much.
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Sleep Disorders

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Before answering your query I would want to have some informations from you so that I am in a better position to reply.
Since when you are having this sleep problem?
Are you suffering from any diabetes,hypertension,anemia or hypothyroidism?
What are the medications being taken by you at the moment?
Is there any fever at the moment?
Any other problem being faced by you at the moment,besides excessive sleep?

Waiting for your reply.
Thanks

Follow-up: Too sleepy during day time even after a good night sleep. Is it harmful ? 21 hours later

This sleep problem began only upon release from the hospital. No, I am not suffering from any diabetes,hypertension,anemia or hypothyroidism. What are the medications being taken by you at the moment? I take liptor, allopurinol, and potassium citrate, the latter two to prevent kidney stones. No, I have no fever Yes, I lost the taste for most of my favorite good foods, and snack foods. Does this help?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello
Day time sleepiness can be caused by LIPITOR and especially people above the age of 60 years but sleepiness is more pronounced if it's use has been started recently.
Other cause for sleepy feeling could be due to the after effects of surgery or may be lack of VIT B12 or B complex vitamins.
I advise you to take some B12 and discuss with your doctor about the possible role of LIpitor in your excessive sleep.
You are most welcome to write to me for any more discussion.
Best of luck.
Thanks