Too much alcohol, throwing up persistently. Maxolon not helped. Sensitive stomach can be fed with?

Hi My brother drank too much alcohol and started throwing up, this has last 24 hours, I gave him maxolon (a tab to stop throwing up) and that has worked, but this has happened in the past on 3 seperate occasions where he starts throwing up, takes tablets, feels good, eats something (even soup) and starts throwing up agian and this cycle goes on for weeks until he is hospitalised,and even then they just discharge him and he has to go back every day, docs say he has a sensitive stomach, but I need more advice, he is 34 and has a problem with booze (which he admits) What can I give him to eat this time, he feels good today but worried he will start throwing up again, or any other solutions? Please help
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 59 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query. You say your brother has a problem of throwing up after drinking and he is addicted to smoking and drinking. You want to know what can be done to prevent these attacks.

Well alcohol and smoking both lead to chronic gastritis (there is a lot of mucous secretion) in stomach along with acidity. This causes him to throw up. Along with the drug you are giving for nausea, you can give him a preparation containing 'sucralfate' which causes a protective layer to form on the inner side of stomach wall, before drinking, so that gastritis is prevented. A combination of sucralfate and an anti acid will be best.

And since he is young, why don't you consider admitting him in a good de-addiction centre?

If you have any follow up query, please revert back.