Tonsillectomy done. Have sore tongue, change in voice. How long it takes to cure bad breath?

ENT Specialist
I am now on day 12 of my tonsillectomy recovery and things have been improving each day. My husband went back to work so now I am alone with my three kids under four by myself. It is very tiring on my tongue when I talk so I try to limit my talking as much as possible. I can imagine how my tongue has to be clamped down pretty hard during surgery but I have a wedding I am singing in at the end of this month and only have two weeks remaining to heal back to my normal self and to be honest, I am quite worried I won't be able to. My voice is not all of the way back to normal and my tongue is so sore! Is there anything i can do to help? And can you tell me how long you think it will be before I can talk normal without feeling sore and even minimal pain.
My 10 day post op check up went well. My scabs are decreasing each day as well.
Also, will the bad breath be completely gone once the scabs are gone?
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Recovery after a tonsillectomy is rapid after the first two weeks.

2. In fact, I do not see my post tonsillectomy patients after the second week unless there is any bleeding or fever (which is very very rare). I also discontinue all medication after the first week.

3. Hence, rest assured that all these symptoms will decrease rapidly from now on and you should be much better by the end of the month. I assume that your earache has gone.

4. You may resume a normal diet.

5. Sometimes the change in voice is related to the intubation during general anesthesia. Keep this in mind if the hoarseness persists, in which case, singing is not recommended for some time.

6. The bad breath will disappear once the tonsillar fossae have healed. Dehydration due to pain and over use of medicated gargles (oral rinse) may also give rise to halitosis (bad breath).

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.