Tonsilectomy done. Found enlarged kidney. Allergic to dust and pollen. Feeling fatigue. Proper diagnosis?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hello there,
My daughter has symptoms of extreme fatigue, pallor (sometimes a greyish colour) and has been prone to infections, commencing since Sept 2011. She had a tonsilectomy last September having suffered consistent throat infections. She is allergic to dust and pollen and has recently started taking a nasal spray. We've had bloods done and no obvious sign of anemia, or glandular fever or thyroid issues (despite the fact that I suffer from hypothyroidism, and my mum suffered from hyperthyroidism. While the nasal spray has helped - she hasn't had a throat or chest infection since starting to use it. However the pallor remains (not constant) and the tiredness very regular - so much so that she has not been able to enjoy her sport or normal socialising as other friends. During the summer of 2011 she had visited XXXXXXX her dads home. As we had visited XXXXXXX on many occasions prior to then I completely forgot to update her inoculations. This has been corrected since. I am Irish, have visited my local GP and expressed my concerns on many occasions. Next week my daughter is due to have a USS as at our most recent visit the doctor felt that she seems to have a slightly enlarged left kidney. Can you help point us towards any other tests or checks that can be done to rule out other conditions. My own father died at a very young age (32) of Leukemia.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Welcome to HCM!

The symptoms are nearly 1 1/2 years now.

I would suggest the following.

1 repeat blood counts and hemoglobin along with smear study and ESR - if the previous one is more than 6 months old.

2 basic liver function tests and renal function tests ESP in view of suspected enlarged kidney.

3 blood sugar estimation fasting and post prandial if not done earlier.

These investigations will give a clue if anything is abnormal.

Is she eating well ?

Stress and other psychological reasons also can cause fatigue - like school and peer pressure,etc.
We have go consider this factor if all the tests come normal and organic causes are ruled out.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Tonsilectomy done. Found enlarged kidney. Allergic to dust and pollen. Feeling fatigue. Proper diagnosis? 9 hours later
Hi Uma,
XXXXXX is eating absolutely fine - all fresh food as is the norm in XXXXXXX (her dad does the cooking). I'll ask for the tests above and see where we go from there. We had her stools check for parasites as well (forgot to mention)

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 5 hours later

Glad she eats good food home made!
The food in that part of the world is very healthy,with lot of oliveoil, fresh greens, filafil ,hammous,etc ,

It is a very good food for the heart also.

Wishing her speedy recovery
Dr Uma