Tonsil stones, having it removed. Elevation in calcium oxalate. Kidney stone formation likely? Related?

ENT Specialist
Hi, My daughter has huge tonsil stones (larger than a kernel of corn )and is scheduled to have her tonsils out. She also is on watch for kidney stone formation due to a lab showing an elevation of calcium oxalate - can this be related? Would a lack of drinking fluids cause the tonsil stones? Or is the formation of them not the same reason they are formed in the kidneys.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 36 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Tonsilloliths are concretions of food particles lodged in the natural crypts of the palatine tonsils. The largest crypt is known as the crypta magna and is located near the upper pole of the palatine tonsil.

2. When we swallow, our palatine tonsils rub against the food bolus and pick up food particles. This food debris decays there while it is analysed for antigens, foreign bodies and organisms by the lymphoid tissue which forms the bulk of the tonsils. Below the age of five years, this is especially important in the deveopment of immunity.

3. For recurrent large tonsilloliths, the only definitive treatment is tonsillectomy.

4. Renal caculi are cause by supersaturation of urine (due to various reasons) which is a different mechanism. It is possible that she is dehydrated due to swallowing problems due to the tonsillitis. This would be the only relation between tonsil stones and kidney stones.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Tonsil stones, having it removed. Elevation in calcium oxalate. Kidney stone formation likely? Related? 19 minutes later
Thank you very much for the thorough answer. I just want to be sure I am clear on one thing. In your opinion there is no way that her lack of fluid intake is the reason the stones are forming in the tonsils. She isn't big on drinking a lot throughout the day and I want to be sure that the stones in her tonsils aren't a result of that - settling there opposed to the kidneys. It sounds like fluid intake has nothing to do with the formation of the stones. The doctor who saw her did say she had huge, XXXXXXX crevices, hence the large stone, and why he recommended removing them.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Yes, this is correct. Decreased salivary flow may be a contributory factor, but decreased fluid intake is not contributory as far as tonsilloliths are concerned.