Tongue protrudes. Something wrong. He outgrown it?

My one year old grandson(just turned one) has a tongue that protrudes slightly. He gags when my son and daughter-in-law try to get him to eat even a half a cheerio or the puffs that they sell for children that age. He eats baby food and drinks his bottles with no problem. He is developing in all other ways normally. Is something wrong or will he outgrow it?
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 26 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

It is advised not to force feed a child. Encouraging him to eat on his own is a better method and would be welcome by your grandson.

As your grandson is already one year old and is developing normally then I think you need not worry for the slightly protruding tongue. Doctors must have noted it by now. To be on the safer side you may get his thyroid profile done as enlarged tongue is seen in hypothyroid children but by now there would have been evidences of delayed milestone too.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your grandson all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal