Tongue is swollen on the right side. Suggest the treatment?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
tongue is swollen on the right side all of the sudden
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be just an allergic reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem.

At the offset let me assure you that a swollen tongue is a very common phenomenon and you have nothing to worry about.

Let us go through some points which will help you recover and relive your worry:
1. If there is no pain or difficulty in breathing or chewing or speaking or if the difficulty is very minimal then you have nothing to worry about. Just take warm water and fluids and it will become better in a day or two.

2. To my patients I would usually start an anti allergy medication like the levocetrizine. You may ask your doctor about this.

3. Did you recently take any medication or any exotic food like the sea food? If yes then it may be a reaction to that and if you are otherwise fine, the same will settle in a day or two.

4. Take only non spicy and non oily food for a week or so

5. I would usually also recomend an anti reflux medication like the pantoprazole for better control of symptoms. Your doctor will know about this too.

6. Examine your oral cavity to see if any teeth is nudging against your tongue especially on the right side

7. Finally you must remember that although it is safe and not very XXXXXXX but if you have any difficulty in breathing, swallowing or speaking then you must consult an ENT doctor as soon as possible

Hope you get better soon an hope your doubts are clear. If you have any more doubts, I would be more than happy to asnwer them

take care and regards

Dr Sriram Nathan