Tongue had had red strip down the middle and feels like it is burned with sore throat. Suggest?

Question
MY TONGUE HAS A RED STRIP DOWN THE MIDDLE AND FEELS AS IF ITS BEEN BURNED. I ALSO HAVE A SLIGHT SORE THROAT
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 3 hours later
HelloXXXXX,
The symptoms of throat pain and associated sore tongue are suggestive of severe Upper respiratory tract infection.
It may be caused most commonly due to Viral infection or bacterial infection primarily or secondarily when viral infection stays unabated for 5-7 days.
You should prevent yourself from exposure to cold, XXXXXXX enough warm cloths.
Have bed rest and take lots of fluids like soups, lemon water, curds, tea and other household liquids and take a balanced diet.
Decongestant medicines are the mainstay treatment.
You should get evaluated by a physician of your locality and get assessed if you also require antibiotics. You should improve the oral health, brush twice a day and do chlorhexidine mouth gargles thrice a day and avoid eating any edibles during ensuing 2 hours to ensure good germicidal effect of chlorhexidine; Do warm saline gargles after you take anything orally.
if you have malaise and fever then take acetaminophen(paracetamol) 500mg as required.At times sore throat and tongue can be a manifestation of vitamin deficiencies and it is advisable that you add an OTC vitamin supplement daily- it should contain vitamin-B complex, Vit-A/C/D/E as well with micronutrients like copper chromium,zink,Iron etc.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Tongue had had red strip down the middle and feels like it is burned with sore throat. Suggest? 9 hours later
iIT IS THE RED STRIP DOWN THE FULL LENGTH OF MY TONGUE THAT CONCERNS ME,WHICH IS NOT ADDRESSED AT ALL IN YOUR ANSWER.

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 55 minutes later
Hi XXXXX
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic.
The red strip seems to be an inflammatory condition for which I have used the term Sore tongue in my previous answer.
It can be a manifestation of vitamin or Iron deficiency, it was for this that I advised vitamin supplements.
It could be a part of sore throat also so the general oral care and antibiotics are advisable.
It could be further helpful if you could upload a photograph of the tongue red strip.
I hope my advise will guide you to a good health.