Ask a Dentist   »  

Tongue discoloration, flu, throat pain, cough, dizziness. What could be the reason?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I have experienced rapid discoloration of the tongue, noticed 24 hours ago and last examined with no symptoms 4 days ago. I have been sick with a flu that started as severe throat pain, then dizziness with cough, then just cough for 5 days. Flu symptoms have diminished, with an estimated recovery by tomorrow morning. The tongue has no unusual texture or pain response, the discoloration seems to be independent of any other symptoms. Picture at WWW.WWWW.WW .
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 4 hours later

Thank you. The change in the texture of tongue and white colored areas [as in the enclosed photo] are due to flu. Whenever a person suffers from fever, he tends to develop such change in the tongue. It is because there will be delayed shedding of cells from one of the papillae on the tongue and leads to such change in texture and color. You need not worry about it, it will revert back to normal soon.

You can keep the tongue clean by using good quality tongue cleaner, so that the white coat is removed and you can enjoy the food [the thick white coat may block the taste receptors]. Tongue cleaning also to help to avoid the harboring the microorganisms, and doesn't give bad breath.

I assume this answers your query, If yes please accept it otherwise you can further ask the required clarifications.

Wish you speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Tongue discoloration, flu, throat pain, cough, dizziness. What could be the reason? 7 hours later
The white colored areas are not the concern, it is the BLACK colored areas of splotchy configuration at the back of the tongue that I am concerned about. There is no texture difference on the black colored areas, and scraping with a tongue scraper yields no change. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 13 hours later

I apologize for misinterpreting your concern. Let me try to address your concern now.

The area which you are pointing seems like discoloration caused by some medication - cough syrup or iron containing syrup probably. It usually subsides along with complete recovery of flu.

Keep the region clean and do not worry about it. If it persists for more than 15 days, get it checked from physician who is treating you for the flu. I am sure it is a benign condition and would improve.

Thanks again for the query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wish you speedy recovery.