Tongue become sensitive to touch and food. Had pneumonia. Got haemoglobin test. Any treatment?

My tongue has become overly sensitive to touch and food. Taste is distorted. I originally thought it was thrush and was treated for it but it has been six weeks and still sore. There is a long oval area that is very red and seems to be the affected area. I am not usually sensitive to spicy foods but now wvweything seems to cause discomfort. I have just recovered from pneumonia. My hemoglobin level is at 9.2 and my iron is at 20. Otherwise, this is the first time in 7 years I have been sick at all.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 37 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

From the details provided it appears as though you are suffering from anemia. The normal range of hemoglobin is considered to be between 11-15 gm%. But for women it is required to be between 13-15 gm%. This means you are anemic. Also, the normal range of iron in women should be: 50-170 μg/dL; this also means you have an iron deficiency. You will require correction of the iron deficiency anemia. Although, in some cases this iron deficiency anemia can also cause the soreness in the oral cavity (the mouth); in addition to this there could be a deficiency of vitamins B9 and/or B12 as well, which are the most common causes of oral ulcers and soreness/ripeness.

Please visit a doctor and request for testing of these two vitamin levels, and accordingly follow it up with supplementation of vitamins (preferably B complex and iron containing supplements).

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Please do write back to me for any further clarifications, and I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.