Told to have leaky heart valves. Do regular exercise. What does it mean?

Cardiologist
Question
i've been told i have 2 heart valves that have trace leaky valves....what does this mean? the dr said 'don't worry do as you normally would'.... i run marathons, do bikram yoga, do weights, spinning....very active. can i continue this or should i not over exhert myself....i love working out and expressing myself via my body energy....
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 6 hours later
Respected Ma'm
"Trace leaky valves" means nearly normal or normal working valves. A large proportion of population has trace , trivial or minimally leaky valves. Pulmonic valves is most commonly involved followed by tricuspid, mitral and aortic valve. This degree of leakage do not affect quality of life or life expectancy, provided they are isolated abnormalities. They do not, in any way, forbid the person from doing any activity.
I hope there is no other abnormality in your ECHO report. If there is any other abnormality please let me know. I would also like to know which two valves are leaking. If one of them is tricuspid valve, Please mention the calculated RVSP (right ventricular systolic pressure).
Feel free to discuss if there is any other query. I am waiting for your follow-up question with requisite details.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Told to have leaky heart valves. Do regular exercise. What does it mean? 6 hours later
thank you for the explanation. I’m awaiting to confirm where exactly the trace leaks were spotted. i wanted to also inform you that i went in due to my parents both having mild leaks in their aortic valve and my both brothers have an aneurysm in the Aortic valve. one brother just had open heart surgery and the other one is waiting for his surgery date. The aneurysm was at a critical size of 5.2 for one brother and 5.8 for the other one.

So i was asked to get check ASAP.

When i was check via ultrasound and ECG my heart rhythm was good, my aorta was 3.84 and my 2 valves showed trace leakage. I’ll find out more as to which valves. What is your perspective on the 3.84 size of my aorta?

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 48 minutes later
Respected Ma'm
1. A size of 3.84 is not an absolute entity we look at. We divide it with your body surface area and then decide if it is towards upper limit or not. If you send me your weight and height in next follow-up question, I will throw more light on it. As such by semi-quantitative estimates it is borderline i.e. at the upper most portion of the normal range. I would like you to have follow-up ECHO cardiograms. The interval will be decided, once i receive more information.
2. I would also like to know if you have Marfan's syndrome in your family?
3. Waiting for your next follow-up question.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Told to have leaky heart valves. Do regular exercise. What does it mean? 2 hours later
my weight is 152
height 5.9
we do not have Marfan's syndrome in our family
my little brother has heart valves bicuspid - he is the one also going for open heart surgery soon as his anursym is 5.8 in size

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 8 hours later
Respected Ma'm
Your calculated body surface area (BSA) is 1.83 m2. Your indexed aortic root diameter is ~2.1 cm/ m2 of BSA. This is marginally above the upper limit (~2.0). The follow-up echocardiography will depend upon if you have bicuspid aortic valve or not. If there is no aortic bicuspid valve, please get another ECHO after one year and depending upon rate of progression, next ECHO can be planned in consultation with your doctor.
Feel free to discuss further. Please provide the details I asked for in my first answer.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder Singh

Follow-up: Told to have leaky heart valves. Do regular exercise. What does it mean? 9 hours later
the trace leaks are with the aorta valve. does that help you?
i really appreciate your feedback

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 21 minutes later
Respected Ma'm
If the trace leak is in aortic valve, it is fine. No worries. Rest of things I have already discussed. If there is any thing else or there is any other query, feel free to write.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder

Follow-up: Told to have leaky heart valves. Do regular exercise. What does it mean? 23 minutes later
i'm curious why do you say 'no worries' if its the aortic valve?

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 8 minutes later
Respected Ma'm
This is technical point. Had it been tricuspid valve, even if leak is trace, I would have been interested in knowing RVSP, as I mentioned above.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder Singh

thank you so much. i'm actually going in for another ECHO with another cardiologist. becasue these tests where request due to my family history and not due to any symptons i just went to my brothers Dr. i do trust what he says however i'm very interrested in knowing and hearing from another dr. doing an ECHO.

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 38 minutes later
You are welcome Ma'm.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder

Follow-up: Told to have leaky heart valves. Do regular exercise. What does it mean? 2 days later
THis is the excat statement from the Dr.
i have an Aortic valve tri-leaflet with trace aortic regurgitation.

please let me know what you would recommend...

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 15 minutes later
Respected Ma'm
I would again say, nothing to worry. This statement is perfectly within normal limits.
If your aortic root size is 3.84 cm, I would recommend first follow-up ECHO after one year. Next follow-up after that will depend upon rate of increase in aortic root diameter.
Your brother had abnormal increase in size of aorta (aortic aneurysm) because of bicuspid aortic valve (valve with 2 cusps rather than 3). Patients with bicuspid aortic valve are prone to aortic aneurysms.You do not have this bicuspid aortic valve.
Hope this helps.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder Singh

yes it does help thank you.
I'm sorry but i must ask again - i do a lot of execise...
1. I do Bikram yoga (extreme heat 42Celsius to 50 degrees Celsius = 102 to 106 F - 1 or 2 per week
2. i do 1 hr cardio step classes 4 to 5 times weekly
3. i do strenght training 45mins 2 to 3 times weekly
4. i run off and on....
i also run marathons at times....

is all this ok? for me to do?

Respected Ma'm
A trace leak of aortic valve with aortic root size of 2.1 cm/m2 does not forbid any activity, in any manner.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Told to have leaky heart valves. Do regular exercise. What does it mean? 33 minutes later
My aortic root is 3.84cm - am I still ok to do everything I do?

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Respected Ma'm
I apologize that I could not make it clear in my last communication. Yes this aortic root size for given body surface area, do not forbids any activity. Please feel free to communicate if there is a doubt.
Hope this helps.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder XXXXXXX