Told to have hyperthyroidism. Calcium level is 11 and pth level is 5. Is it normal?

Endocrinologist
Question
i was just told i have hyparathyroidism. my calcium level is 11.1 and my pth level is 5,how can this be?
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Recheck labs Detailed Answer: May I know the upper limit of the normal range for the calcium on the lab report. This is important as it can vary sometimes from lab to lab. Also, were you fasting when you had this blood sample taken? Do you think you were dehydrated? Not fasting and/ or being dehydrated can elevate the calcium but this does not represent a disease state. However it is worth being XXXXXXX if you truly have a high calcium level or not. I sometimes order ionized calcium, along with intact PTH, 25 hydroxy vitamin D, phosphorus and magnesium, in order to ascertain the same. This should be done fasting but drink adequate water.

Follow-up: Told to have hyperthyroidism. Calcium level is 11 and pth level is 5. Is it normal? 1 hour later
my calcium level is 11.1 and my pth is 5. yes i was fasting when my blood work wa done.before this last time my blood was drawn the calcium level was 10.9. so over the past 6 months or more it has been going up.i was diagnosed by my family practice doctor as having hyperparathyroidism and have an appt sometime later in the month of december.

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Normal range Detailed Answer: I have noted your comments above. I would like to know the upper limit for the calcium on the most recent test.You should be able to see it on the printed lab report

Follow-up: Told to have hyperthyroidism. Calcium level is 11 and pth level is 5. Is it normal? 46 minutes later
the upper limit was 10.4

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Labs Detailed Answer: Okay. In such cases, I typically recommend the following tests (fasting and with good hydration) to confirm the presence of a truly high calcium : ionized calcium, along with intact PTH, 25 hydroxy vitamin D, phosphorus and magnesium

Follow-up: Told to have hyperthyroidism. Calcium level is 11 and pth level is 5. Is it normal? 13 hours later
ok so far all i have got from this website is more questions than answers. i know all the questions to ask i just a simple question answered,is this the typical lab results for some body diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism? si i think i will post my reviews on the site.i also knew the tests that needed to be run,but not a one of you have answered the question asked on this site.

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not typical Detailed Answer: Typically in (primary) hyperparathyroidism causing a high calcium level in blood, the PTH levels are not low like the one you have. It does not fit the picture and therefore repeat testing is necessary.

Follow-up: Told to have hyperthyroidism. Calcium level is 11 and pth level is 5. Is it normal? 25 hours later
the lab had given me the wrong levels. calcium 11.4 and pth level 65.1

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 8 hours later
Brief Answer: that fits Detailed Answer: Now the labs are compatible with a diagnosis of primary hyperparathyroidism. You still need to see an endocrinologist as this condition requires a systematic thorough work up.