Told to have glaucoma, runs in family. Symptoms and treatment?

I was told last October that I may have glaucoma. It runs in my family. What are the symptoms I should be feeling?
I am going to be 61 this October.
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Headache with colored halos, blurring of vision

Detailed Answer:

Symptoms of glaucoma are type dependent. Glaucoma is divided in to two important types, Open angle glaucoma and Angle closure glaucoma.

Open angle glaucoma presents with
- Few or no symptoms initially
- Diminution of vision or visual field
- Frequent changes in power of presbyopic glasses because of failure in accommodation is seen in few patients

Angle closure glaucoma presents with
- Occassional headache associated with colored halos, blurring of vision
- Occassional redness of the eyes associated with eye pain and sometimes associated with nausea and vomiting.

In the medical history you have provided you have mentioned about emotional stress and emotional stress is known to act as precipitating factor for development of angle closure glaucoma. Since your age is more than 60 years and since you are having family risk factor, I advice you to undergo glaucoma evaluation by eye doctor or preferably by Glaucoma specialist at the earliest and treatment and followup if glaucoma is diagnosed.

Hope I have answered you query.