Told to have bronchitis, antibiotics doesn't help. Have GERD but not taking omeprazole. Getting heartburn and anxious. Suggest?

Pulmonologist
Question
The dr says I have bronchitis. 14 days now. Antibiotics don't work Cough not bad at night but gets progressively worse during day. Yellowish phlegm not much of it. I also gave gerd but am not taking my omeprazole in case it makes me worse. I hav some heartburn and am now getting very anxious as I have a cancer phobia. WhT do you think please?
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your Acute bronchitis seems to be infective.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be having an episode of acute bronchitis currently which seems to be infective in etiology.

2. Since you also suffer from GERD nad anxiety which are interrelated, there is a possibility of you suffering from GERD induced cough. In a case of non responding cough, you need to control the GERD first so please take regular GERD medications. You can switch to pantoprazole instead of omeprazole , after consultation with your physician.

3. If your cough is not responding to antibiotics, you need to switch the antibiotic/ increase the duration of treatment (in consultation with your doctor).

4. There is a possibility that you could have cought this infection from your daughter. Please follow simple hygiene measures like regular handwashing, covering mouth while sneezing /coughing to decrease the spread of respiratory infections.

5. Since your cough hasn't responded yet, it needs further evaluation. Investigations that may be required are chest xray pa view, sputum examination and complete blood counts. Do you have associated cold? Did you ever smoke?

6. Please do not fear about cancer. If you are getting regular health check ups, then there is no need to fear cancer.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Told to have bronchitis, antibiotics doesn't help. Have GERD but not taking omeprazole. Getting heartburn and anxious. Suggest? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor, The illness did start with a cold I think. My voice went so low that people didnt recognise me on the phone. Is this in line with the symptoms of broncihitis. My voice is almost normal now. I have had blood tests within the last few months, all ok. My mum died of lung cancer but was a heavy smoker. I used to be a very light social smoker for about eight years but I gave up entirely 7 years ago. I shouldn't worry much about cancer in this case should I? I never seem to get enough reassurance for my phobia!!!

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lung cancer does not seem likely currently.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up. After going through your follow up query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You being an ex smoker are at a risk of lung cancer compared to non smokers but currently the clinical picture is not like that. That you have quit smoking is good.

2. Having a family history increase your risk of lung cancer. However you need to have regular followup and health check ups with your physician.

3. Investigations as outlined in previous posts are need to be done. Also if required your doctor may order you a CT scan to rule out any abnormality at present.

4. Currently , a course of antibiotic is required along with a detailed evaluation by Pulmonologist.

5. Please do not worry about lung cancer.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist