Toe nails and foot seems to be infected. What treatment should be done?

My toe nail on my left foot seems to be "infected", it is under the big toe nail. I don't know how else to explain it! It's been there for quite some time.
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shanmugapriya 2 hours later

Generally toenail infection is caused by fungus and rarely by bacteria.

Can you send me the pictures if possible? You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Also, please do not mind to answer these queries.

Does it cause any pain?
Whether the tip of the nail is elevated from the skin?
How long the infection is present?
I also need your blood sugar levels to rule out diabetes.

Try to avoid prolonged contact with water. Also avoid any nail treatments like pedicure. With the clinical findings and lab results along with Microbiological report of Nail scraping I will be able to arrive at a probable cause and will guide you for further treatment.

Awaiting your response.

Thank you.
Follow-up: Toe nails and foot seems to be infected. What treatment should be done? 9 hours later
Thank you so much for the quick reply! I attached a picture of my toe.

The orange part is just some old toe nail polish. It is also a little yellower because I've had toe nail polish on for a while. The left side of the toe was cauterized when I had an ingrown toe nail 6 years ago. The right side has continued to get worse and the quick keeps getting lower. The part where the orange polish feels hollow when I tap on it. it has been like this approx 6 months. I don't have my blood sugar levels but I just recently had a baby and know my levels were fine during my gestational diabetes test.

I hope I answered everything!

Thank you for enlightening me with further clinical details and photograph.

Since your condition is chronic, most probably the it seems like Onychomycoses.

As we have not performed nail scraping, you can get your nail excised surgically and topical application of Amorolfine nail lacquer by night after scraping with the nail file and removing the medicine once a week with alcohol impregnated gauze and continuing this for 12 weeks would suffice since only single nail is affected.

If not possible, you can take T.Sporanox orally for some time. It is a prescription drug. However, it will take at least 6-9months to see the results.

Please do write back for clarifications, if required.

Get well soon.

Thank you.