Toe is dislocated. Having pain with swelling. Is there any solution?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi i have a problem wiyh my big toe joint . i have for as long as i can remember at times the joint dislocating and having to try to massage it so that it goes back but these last few days it wont go back at all , now it is swollen and constantly painful no matter what footwear i am wearing,
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The dislocated toe is often associated with sprain or the ligament injury in the area.
As long as the toe is dislocated, it will remain painful. You need to get the toe reduced back to its normal position by an orthopedician. The local inflammation and swelling will then subside with the help of proper treatment.
Till then avoid weight bearing on the toe and keep your foot elevated on two pillows to reduce the swelling.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.