Toe injury while playing. Now there is swelling with inflammation and pus. Adviced novamox

Infertility Specialist
My nail of right toe got hurt while playing. Now a new nail is erupting. In the process of this nail growth, the nail bed is swollen with slight inflammation and pus. The GP has advised Novamox CV 625. Is this ok.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 13 minutes later

thanks for your query.

When there is toe injury, a new nail generally replaces the old. Meanwhile, the old nail is discoloured and falls of slowly as replaced by new nail.

But if there is too much pus and presence of wound, only antibiotic may not help. You might need to remove the pus and do dressing. Please visit a surgeon for the same.

On the other hand, if the wound or pus is not much, follow your GP's advice and take the antibiotic he has prescribed. Keep the toe clean and wash properly with antiseptic like dettol. Dont let mud cover the wound.

I hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have anymore doubts.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist