Toddler top frenulum in mouth is swollen and bleed when brushed teeth. Cause?

My toddler top frenulum in his mouth is swollen and bleed when i brushed his teeth dont know if he hit himself is this XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Usually it is due to a harmless minor injury

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The mild bleeding from the top frenulum in case of a toddler is mostly due to an injury in the area. Such minor injuries do heal on their own in 3-4 days.
In case the area is painful, there is difficulty in swallowing or a visible swelling is seen in the area then an infection is likely which may need treatment like antibiotics after a proper examination.
Do self monitor the area for next 2-3 days and it should be fine.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.