Toddler suffering from nasal congestion. Is it safe to give solvin nasal drops and flucold drops?

Feb 2013

Hi doctor , my 6 months old baby is suffering from nasal congestion from last 1 week. At times she makes sound while breathing due to blocked nose especially while sleeping . Her motion is of XXXXXXX color and she sneezes as well. She is exclusively on breast feeding and even I am having little cold. I have given her solvin nasal drops and flucold drops 0.1 ml twice a day. Please suggest if this is ok. Can I take some OTC medicine for my cold. Will it be harmful for my baby.
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 34 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

The treatment your child receiving is appropriate and you can continue solvin nasal drops and flucold drops for your baby. If there is nasal block especially before sleep and feeding, put nasal drops 1 or 2 into each nostril and clear the nostrils with a soft cloth.

The XXXXXXX color of the stool is not a concerning problem and you need not be worried. The stool color variation is normal in infants.

You can take some OTC medicine like chlorpheniramine or cetrizine tablet in recommended dosage (prescribed by your doctor) for your cold. The amount of the drug secreted into the breast milk is negligible and it is not harmful for your baby. And you can take it at bedtime after feeding your baby in the night.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.