Toddler suffering from diarrhoea, vomiting and burping. What is causing this and cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
toddler with rotten egg burps and farts, 24hrs ago vomited 3x and has had diarrhea since early yesterday morning. Today bowel movements are less frequent but still liquidy, yellow-tan color sediment. Had pneumonia 2 wks ago, drank cow milk at day care 24hrs after completion of course of antibiotics. He is sensitive to cow milk and was congested for several days after. 24 hours before diarrhea and vomiting he ate food at a potluck and ingested the egg whites of 3 hard-boiled eggs made at home sporadic snacking and liquids until bedtime. No lethargy today, but spurts of lethargy yesterday. Farts and burps are foul-smelling of eggs. yesterday complained of abdominal pain and anus pain from diarrhea. Today no pains, but uncomfortable during bathroom trips.
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
It seems that the symptoms your child is having is related to the food allergy or an intestinal infection. Most likely it is a viral infection and is self limiting. The symptoms usually subside over 4-5 days.
The main motive of treatment is prevention of dehydration. Preventing or treating dehydration in children focuses on replacing lost fluid and electrolytes (sodium and potassium). Administering fresh fruit juices is the most effective way of doing this.
If he is behaving normal and has normal appetite then there is nothing much to worry about. Gradually give him BRAT diet (i.e. bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet and whitegrape juice.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.