Toddler suffering from cold. Not cured by home remedy. Suggest some effective medical cure?

I have a 7 month old baby. She has been suffering from cold for almost the last two weeks. Initially i tried all the home remedies like massage with mustard oli, doing sekhah with ajwain seeds. When it didnt work , i spoke to my paed on the phone who said give her Tmnic drops three times a day. After giving Tmnic for two days it didnt work. Then i took her to another paed suggested by friend. At that she was coughing a lot, having a running nose with a thick yellow mucus many times, water dripping from her mouth most of the time. She refused to breast feed as she has been breathing very heavy. When she is trying to Breast feed, i can hear her trying to breath from the nose and the sounds that we usually hear when we as adults do when our nose is congested. The paed advised me Athrax Drops (7 drops three times in the day) and Tuspel Syrup ( 2 ml three times a day)

He said give her for 5 days and then let me know how she progresses. This was on Thursday. And today is sunday. 4 days already gone. Today, Monday will be the 5 th day for the meds. My baby has shown say only 20% of improvement. The yellow mucus that wud mostly come with a burst of sneeze has reduced but still their is mucus flowing from her nose. You can hear her breath heavy when she is sleeping. Water is still dripping from her mouth continuosuly. And most importantly she still refuses to breast feed . she is taking her solids well tho not as much as she used to . She is on three solid meals a day plus Breast feed. I m very worried as she is not taking my feed.

Kindly advise. I had called up the paed today to tell him she is not showing improvement. But he said you still continue with the same meds

Kindly let me know your opinion on this

Thanking You

Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 30 minutes later

Thanks for writing.

I wanted you to answer few questions.
- What is the breathing rate of your baby? (This you can calculate by noticing the upward and downward moment of the chest) or do you feel your baby is presently breathing fast?
- Is there any chest in-drawing?
- Does she have any fever now?
- Are there any vomitings?
- How many times is she passing urine in a day?
- Is the baby lethargic and not responding properly?

You should definitely be concerned if she is breathing fast, if she is having chest indrawing, she is repeatedly vomiting, passing urine less frequently, very lethargic, running high fever. Such babies require emergency care.

Do you feel her nose is blocked? (babies whose nose is blocked because of cold may find it difficult to breast feed as they cannot breath properly)
We normally prescribe normal saline drops to such babies to clear the block. One should try breast feed after putting these drops.

Out of the various causes of drooling of saliva teething could be a cause.

Please reply in detail with answers to my questions so that I can help you better.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.