Toddler started sweating and has low temperature. What should I do?

My baby is 10 days old and woke up in sweat and her temp is only 96 ?
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 17 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

If the temperature measurement was accurate without any subjective error then, I suspect your baby to have hypothermia. This is a medical emergency.
This could be because of several causes.

One cause could be that your baby might have been exposed to cold. This can happen when you do not wrap the baby properly.

Another cause could be late onset sepsis. Here bacteria invade the body because of the low immunity of the baby and cause such problems.

How is the activity of the baby? How is the cry?
Is the baby lethargic?
Is your baby accepting feeds normally?
Is your baby term or preterm?
What is the birth weight of the baby?
Does your baby have any other problem till now?
Is your baby wrapped up properly?

Try warming the baby by wrapping up properly. Kangaroo method of care will be useful for this. This is done by keeping your baby between your breast and then wrapping up. Your body heat will be transmitted to the baby.

Transport her to the nearest medical care centre using the above method.

Your doctor after examination will further investigate to look for cause of this hypothermia.

A sepsis screen (which includes total counts, CRP, Peripheral smear for sepsis) is useful to rule out bacterial infection. Your doctor will get a blood sugar done to rule out hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) after getting a blood culture done he may start the baby on antibiotics if required.

Please take the baby to the nearest health care centre (as early as possible particularly if the baby is poorly feeding or shows decreased activity) while providing warmth using the kangaroo mother care as advised already. Mean while try to breast feed the baby if the baby accepts.

Hope this helps.

Please reply immediately if you have any further queries. I am waiting here to answer you.