Toddler on lactogen and breast milk. When should I start giving liquid food ?

Feb 2013

i have a 4 month old son whose current feeding schedule includes formula (lactogen) and small amounts of breast feeding. as per my knowledge children are supposed to start on solid foods from 6 months and above. Want to know if i can introduce my child to liquid foods like different fruit juices, daal ka pani at 4 months of age. what should be the first food he should take apart from lactogen at 4 months age?
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 48 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Complimentary (weaning) food can be started from the age of 6 months onwards in addition to lactogen and breast milk in the form of mashed items.

After 4 months of age, fruit juices can be started.

Ideally coconut water is the best liquid to start.

Fruit juice with thin consistency like orange juice can be given after 4 months of age.

And you can start daal water.

But before introducing these foods, things to remember are :

1. Introduce any new food in a small quantity and increase it gradually over 1
week to 10 days.

2. Only one type of food to be started and if you want to give another variety of
food, start it later.

3.Hygeinic preparation and handling of liquids is very much important.

4. If the child develops any cold, cough, rash, and loose motions after the
introduction of any new food, stop that food.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.