Toddler on breast milk. Passing gas but no bowel movement. What should I do?

Hi, my 3wk baby has not poop for 3days and she is sending out gas. She eats well and i can see she really wants to empty her tummy. Can u help please? I gave her formula for 1day and stopped becos shw didnot like it. She is normally on breastmilk.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 16 minutes later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Baby is passing gas and have normal hunger , so there is less chance of any pathology in abdomen.
Not having poop for 3 days is quite alarming but it may happens in neonate. It is common occurrence in many cases.
Many babies has infrequent bowel movements like once in 2 or 3 days or if the baby grunts or strains a lot during bowel movement, it does not necessarily mean they are constipated. The grunting and struggling would go away after the baby stretches and loosens the anus muscles and has had many bowel movements. The consistency and number of stools varies from baby to baby. Some may have 3 or 5 stools a day or one bowel movement after every feeding. Some may have stools once every two days.
So at present you give only breast feeding. Formula feed is not at all recommended in neonates. If baby is straining or associated with abdominal distension and crying then need to consult paediatrician on emergency basis. Otherwise no need to worry too much.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.