Toddler is suffering from cough and throat problem. How to cure this?

ENT Specialist
My baby is 6month old.
he keeps coughing through out the day... today i feel his throat is quite bad.. as he is making a rigorous sound in between his cries when he breathes.
please suggest, how can i help him get rid of the cough.
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 38 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the history, I do feel the child could be having post nasal drip, which could be the prime cause for cough.

Usually in the children, following post nasal discharge tricking down into the back of the throat. This constant drip irritates the throat inducing cough. Also, the child seems to be having nasal block which is reason for noisy breathing.

Do not worry! This is one of the commonest ENT problem in infants and the toddlers; with appropriate intervention this can be taken care of. I would suggest you to instill saline nasal drops 3-4 times a day in both the nostrils, this will relieve the nasal obstruction and clears the post nasal discharge. Also, a mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol is beneficial in reducing the consistency of the secretions and reducing the cough. Finally, give warm water for drinking and continue with the breast feeding.

If the symptoms do not improve within couple of days please consult a good ENT specialist for a complete evaluation.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon