Toddler is fed with nan formula. Passing black watery stool. Is this normal?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 2month old baby is Nan formula fed now and still has watery runny poo, it is black/grey in colour. Is this normal? He has been on formula for a few days shy of a month now and I thought they would have changed. Should they have?
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later

Welcome to HCM!

I have a few questions to ask you before I clarify your doubts!

Was your baby initially on breast milk and changed to Nan a month ago?

When did the loose stools start?

Normally formula feeds make the stools hard unlike breast milk when stools are semi soft and yellow.

If the loose motions started immediately after changing to Nan it may be from intolerance to the formula.

If it happened after a few days,it may be unrelated viral infection that is causing the loose stools.

Loose watery stools from any cause at this age, you have to be careful about avoiding dehydration .

Give pedialyte 1-2 ozs Every 3-4 hrs.

God bless
Dr Uma