Toddler having fever and watery eyes. What should I do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
What should I do if my toddler has a fever of 101.8 and watery eyes?
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 40 minutes later
The above symptoms most probably indicate a viral infection which usually causes fever, watery eyes, runny nose and occasionally (later on ) cough.
It is usually self resolving and may take upto a week or more for complete resolution and the treatment is usually symptomatic .
You can do the following ,
1. For fever antipyretics like acetaminophen may be given in prescription strength ( as per weight 10-15 mg/ kg/dose) every 6-8 hourly .
2. Saline nose drops may be given to clear the nasal congestion which usually helps with the drainage of watery eyes too .
3. Give your child plenty of fluids to maintain hydration as well as a nutritious diet.
4. Multivitamin and zinc supplements might help in a faster recovery.
5. Steam inhalations thrice daily might be useful if your child develops any breathing difficulty due to nose block .
6. However if fever persists or worsens , or child develops any new symptom like worsening cough , rash , breathlesness etc then please consult a pediatrician promptly for confirmation of diagnosis and prescription of antibiotics as per need.

As of now it doesn't seem much worrisome and is likely to resolve with supportive therapy within a week.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.