Toddler has viral fever. On calpol and antibiotic. Started losing weight. Looking for diet plan

Hello Doctor,

My 8 month old has viral fever since last 6 days. We took him to his pedia and are currently giving him calpol and antibiotics. He is feeling better since morning. However he has lost weight and looks very tiny. He currently weighs 7.1 kg.

Could you please let me know what is the ideal weight for a 8 month old baby boy. And also what diet do you recommend to him.

Any help/advise will be appreciated.

Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 42 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
Do not panic.
Your baby's weight is OK as per his age.
Ideally at the end of 1 year your baby should reach a weight of about 9-10kgs.
Ideally a baby's weight should double after 6 months and triple after one year.According to that your baby's weight is fine.
At this stage your baby should take milk,cereals,pulses,fruits and juices,vegetables.
After 10 months you can start chicken,fish,mutton and then egg.
Consult your doctor if the problem persists.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.