Toddler has redness on nipple and lump below it. Prescribed cefpodoxime proxetil. Is this safe?

Excellent

Radiologist
Question
My newborn baby girl of 2 months has redness of one nipple with a little lump below the nipple. Doctor has given Cefpodoxime Proxetil oral drops. Is it ok to give these drops.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 46 minutes later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
It looks like a infantile mastitis. It may occur in newborn child . It is type of infection of breast tissue which may or may not be associated with any reason.
Your paediatrician has given a broad spectrum cephalosprorin. It will act against variety of organisms. So it is completely ok to give this oral drops. If baby is having fever then consult doctor for antipyretic oral drops.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Regards and take care .

Follow-up: Toddler has redness on nipple and lump below it. Prescribed cefpodoxime proxetil. Is this safe? 22 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX Baby girl was taking massage and she removed milk from nipple. So maybe this is the reason why this happened. Is this the reason.

Many peopl say this lump is normal and newborn get this and goes without treatment.is this true.

Is there any side effects to the antibiotics we are giving. I am very worried right now.

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 10 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
Yes, it is normal phenomenon in few babies due to prolactin effect of mother. It can go without treatment. But antibiotics are given to avoid infection. There is no side effects at doses given for this condition. So no need to worry about that. You can continue antibiotics and massage.

Regards.

Follow-up: Toddler has redness on nipple and lump below it. Prescribed cefpodoxime proxetil. Is this safe? 9 hours later
Baby is getting stools more often as a side effect.

The brand prescribed is zedocef. Is this ok.

How many days should I continue this.

After the number of days what if yet this lump remains. I would not like to continue the antibiotic.

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 30 minutes later
Hi, welcome back.
Frequent stool is not a major side effect. Anything given orally other than mothers milk will cause this increased stool frequency. So no need to worry about that.
You need to continue it as per prescription only.After completing course you need to consult paediatrician again then only further management can be decided. In case of children direct medical advise is mandatory. Don't change therapy based on indirect advises. It is only for educational purposes.

Hope I have answered your query.

Regards.