Toddler has fever, stomach ache and shivers when cold. Had little food and drink. What to do?

Feb 2013

My toddler has a low grade fever (99-100.6), a stomach ache, and is very shaky, like shes weak not shivery, when cold. She's not very congested at all and doesn't seem to have cold symptoms. Her hands are colder than usual as well. She hasn't had much to eat or drink since yesterday, and hasn't had a bowel movement and very little urine.
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Give ORS to hydrate her.Consult the doctor. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. It looks like she developed an infection with a stomach bug as she is having fever and stomach pain. For fever you can give paracetamol containing syrup such as Tylenol in prescribed dose every 8th hourly depending on the presence of fever. Passing very little urine is suggestive the development of dehydration because of decreased oral intake and fever. I suggest you to give plenty of oral fluids and sips of oral rehydration solutions (ORS) such as Pedialyte to correct the dehydration. Monitor her hydration by activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moist tongue and oral cavity. Keep her warm by covering her with full clothes and wrapping in a thick blanket. Therefore I suggest you to keep on giving oral rehydration solutions (ORS) sip by sip and consult the doctor for physical examination to assess her hydration status, to look for the focus of infection, and to prescribe specific medication. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.