Toddler got head injury. Knot appeared on forehead. No vomiting or tiredness. Should I be worried?

General Surgeon
My 7 mo old fell from our sofa on Sunday and bumped her head. There was no knot until the next morning. She's acted normal since the fall, no vomiting, no excessive tiredness or being cranky. The knot on her head now seams to be spreading down to her forehead, and is mushy. If touched it doesn't seem to bother her either. Just looks terrible.
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

You need to know that you are not able to notice brain injury symptoms at 7 months old. And in such age the skull is still thin and weaker. That is why head trauma in such age should be at least verified by your doctor. And if necessary head CT should be done.
The knot which has appeared can be just a bruise, however it can be a blood collection under the skin. In such case there is a possibility of infection in this collection what leads to a abscess.
That is why I`m kindly asking you to visit your doctor and make sure no further action is necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.