Toddler fell and hurt head. Should I be concerned of brain injury?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 2 yr old toddler fell and hit the back of his head should I be concern of a brain injury. I'm a nervous wreck he fell on hard wood floor
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
I can understand your concern!
Is the child OK after the fall,smiling,playing,active and no vomiting?
If all are negative ,then there may not be anything to worry.
However you take the child to ER and show, so that they will check the baby clinicaly, do xray if needed,check pupillary reaction etc,and guide you.
This will calm you also !!
Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Toddler fell and hurt head. Should I be concerned of brain injury? 3 hours later
No vomiting how long does it take for a head injury to show up in toddler.
He was running and he fell backwards Will injury to back of head cause serious injury
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 49 minutes later
there are different kinds if injuries-onset is usually by 6-8 hours and if the chid is alright for 48 hrs, we can be assured.
But there is a condition called subdural hematoma which may present after a week also.

Falling on the back of head can affect the posterior structures like cerebellum.
In a toddler with head injury it is not possible to predict exactly from the nature of fall.
Sometimes trivial fall can cause a fracture skull and sometimes they escape injuries with severe falls also!
Still I suggest that you take her once at least to ER and get her examined.
Good luck

Dr Uma