Toddler fell and cut lip, raised bump inside upper lip. Will that go away with time?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Toddler fell and cut his lip about 8 months stitches needed. Healed up quickly. Now he is left with a raised bump(scar tissue?) inside his upper lip. Noticeable from the outside as it kind of makes his lip pooch out a little. Will that go away with time, or is there anything that can be done to reduce the size?
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The raised bump due to scar tissue in a toddler is likely to become normal with time. This usually remodels into its normal shape without any treatment.
In case it is persistent, then it can be corrected surgically or with laser therapy under the guidance of your dermatologist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Toddler fell and cut lip, raised bump inside upper lip. Will that go away with time? 3 hours later
How long would it take to become normal, and could it affect his speech patterns ? He seems to be talking fine, however. ( He's 2 1/2 now. ) It's right in the center of his upper lip.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Such swellings can take years to come back to normal. Since it is in the middle of his upper lip, it is not likely to affect his speech. You can wait till he becomes five and if it is persistent, can discuss the treatment options with the dermatologist or a plastic surgeon.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.