Toddler feel and hurt head. Concerned about bleeding in brain. Should I take to ER?

Question
My toddler was running and feel on hard wood floor hitting the back of his head he cried its been about 9 hrs nothing unusual should I take him to emergency room or be concern of bleeding in the brain
Also can the fall on wood floor cause serious injury.not from high level just from falling backwards
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Usually such falls do not cause major problems.

The danger signs to be looked out for are loss of consciousness, repeated forceful vomiting, fits, bleeding from ear/ nose, bruises seen around the eyes or behind the ears, clear fluid leak from nose etc. If your kid develops any of these symptoms, then you must take him to the ER at the earliest.

If he has any soft tissue swelling, cold compresses with a painkiller like Acetaminophen will help.

Hope my answer helps you.
If you have further queries, please do write. I will be happy to assist you.

Regards.

Follow-up: Toddler feel and hurt head. Concerned about bleeding in brain. Should I take to ER? 13 minutes later
How long does symptoms show up if there's a problem? It's happened in evening and he slept through the night no problems
Can injury happen if the child hits back of head

Hi

At the maximum, it takes 48 hrs for symptoms to manifest. If he has no symptoms for 48 hrs, then its unlikely that he will have any problems.

Yes, injury can happen if child hits his back of head.

Observe him and if you are in doubt, please do not hesitate to visit your Doctor.

Regards.

Follow-up: Toddler feel and hurt head. Concerned about bleeding in brain. Should I take to ER? 31 minutes later
sorry to ask these questions but can hardwood floor cause brain damage or would it be a harder surface im just a overprotective mother

Answered by Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 4 hours later

I can understand your concerns as a mother.

Any floor, hard wood or stone can cause head injury depending on the height of the fall, the portion of the head coming in contact with the floor, whether the child was walking or running during the fall etc.

Any brain injury will manifest with symptoms mentioned above. So based on the presence or absence of symptoms, further management will be decided.

Please do visit your doctor, get him examined fully so that you can be at peace.
Absence of symptoms and normal findings on examination will rule out any major problems. If your doctor feels any imaging of the skull and brain is needed, you may proceed so.

Hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.
Please do get back if you need any assistance.