Toddler cry before and after passing stool and urine. Concerned

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My baby girl 2+ months old is crying a lot before and after potty & pee pee.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 29 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

I appreciate your concern for your baby.

I would like to reassure you that this is not something you should worry much about.

Newborns cry for many reasons, following are some of the common reasons why they cry;

Rashes due to diaper.
urinary tract infection
do not use too much of colic medicines as they also may cause problem like this.

Usually new born babies do cry while passing urine. It is very common.

Another reason why babies cry while passing urine and stool is, while passing urine the bladder contracts forcefully and the sensation is new for them. Because of the uncomfortable sensation they tend to cry.

I suggest you use good quality diapers or change the diaper immediately after she passes urine.

Your baby should become quite once she has completed passing urine and once the diaper is changed.She should stop crying when you try to calm her by taking her in your arms and talk to her.

You need to seek medical help if your baby does not stop crying. And if she refuses to feed.

Remember these points.
Check that she passes urine at least 6 to 8 times in a day and motion around two to three times.
Keep the mother and baby together always.
Mother should eat good nutritious food. There are absolutely no restriction in diet.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.