Toddler belting out high pitched screams. Normal?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My grandson just toddles around all day belting out high pitched screams ? He has just started daycare, and it is disruptive.
He is not unhappy or crying.
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 19 minutes later
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
Its normal for toddlers to express their stanger anxiety at this age.
As they are exposed to totally different atmosphere unlike home , they do scream or cry when they are exposed to a new place, esp with new faces and voices.
This should settle in a few weeks time as your grandson gets used to the daycare environment.
I reassure such anxious mothers in my clinic. There is no need for any medicine.
Hope I answered your question.
Follow-up: Toddler belting out high pitched screams. Normal? 1 hour later

I don't think you understand he does this at home too, it seems like just an attention getter, but it is constant.

Of course he is only 1 year old, so we cannot really communicate to him that it is inappropriate.

He is not unhappy while he is screaming out in this very high pitched tone.
Answered by Dr. Arun 9 hours later
Thanks for additional information.

I understand you are concerned. But it is perfectly normal for at your grandson's age to scream even at home. There is perfectly no reason to worry especially when he is not unhappy.

As you had mentioned it may be a attention seeker. Make sure he appreciate each and every thing he does; kids love to have positive feedback.

Hope I was able to assure you. Write back for enquiries.

Dr Arun