To follow up with PCP after a provant health screen test is a good advice?

I had a Provant Health screen @ my place of work.....I'm 6'2" 177 lbs, I'm 53 yo man, total cholesterol 192.....HDL Cholesterol 23 mg/dL.....I was told by "Health Coach" to follow up with PCP in 3 months to review labs.

Is that good advise? What should I do?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 58 minutes later

Your HDL (High-density lipoprotein) levels seem to be on the lower side, HDL levels between 40 and 60 mg/dl are considered normal. But your total cholesterol of 192 mg/dl, lesser than 200 mg/dl is considered normal.

Since all other tests are normal, it is better to monitor for another 3-6 months as advised. You could take cod liver capsules and also continue with the healthy lifestyle you currently follow. Also, HDL changes tend to be long term, so continued monitoring as advised by your Physician is correct.

Reducing the amount of saturated fat and cholesterol in your diet helps lower your blood cholesterol level.

Lifestyle Changes like cholesterol-lowering diet, physical activity, and weight management will help you.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.