Titanium rod placed in femur. Having joint pain in legs, difficult to walk. What should I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My name is Lisa and I had a Titanium rod placed in my left femur last XXXXXXX I got better, though never pain free, now to only get worse with pain in both legs, I'm in so much pain and I need help!!! I don't want pain management but HELP!!!!!! I have horrible joint pain and its becoming difficult to walk, I'm afraid!! I'm a nurse by profession and I know that this shouldn't be! What can I do it seems as if my body had never adjusted to the rod being there!
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Since the rod was placed in your femur one year ago, the healing must have taken place by now.
If there is joint pain due to the rod then the rod can be easily removed after getting an X-ray done to check the position of the rod.
The other causes of bilateral joint pains also needs to be considered. Other causes can be rheumatoid arthritis, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc. For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of affected joints.
You need a thorough clinical examination followed by investigations under the guidance of an orthopedician.
Till then for symptomatic relief, you can take over the counter analgesics, do hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel on the affected areas.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Titanium rod placed in femur. Having joint pain in legs, difficult to walk. What should I do? 28 minutes later
Is it possible for the rod to cause these problems?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The rod is not likely to cause bilateral knee pain. The left hip pain may be caused by the soft tissue injury if there was any or by the upper part of rod which remains outside the bone.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Titanium rod placed in femur. Having joint pain in legs, difficult to walk. What should I do? 14 minutes later
Thanks Dr Tayal that's actually the direction I'm going in, I have an appt Tuesday
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
You are most welcome. You can discuss your reports too if you need to.
Please recommend our website to your friends too.