Tired, weak, unable to gain weight, done blood test. Should I take supplements?

I have been having repeated stomach problems since last 6 months. Doctors prescribed me Ofloxacin + Ornidazole antibiotics each time I had loose motions and I have taken 4 courses of 3 days in last 6 months. I lost 7 kgs weight in last 6 months.

2 months back in a routine blood test I was diagnosed with high bilirubin (total = 2.1 mg/dL), high RBC count (6.5 millions /mm3) and low haemoglobin (12) after a course of antibiotic. My doctor said it was a side effect of antibiotic. I have gradually recovered.

I got another blood test done last week and my Bilirubin is (total = 1.5 mg/dL), RBC count is (5.8 millions /mm3) and hemoglobin (11.6). I get normal stools now, though I feel tired and weak and I am unable to gain weight. I am taking healthy diet now. Can you please advice if I should take any supplements to put on weight?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 12 minutes later

I think you need some further check up before just start taking any form of diet supplements.

7kg is significant weight loss and one must look for the reason. Just by having diarrhoea you can not loose weight. Again your bilirubin remains marginally high and haemoglobin is also borderline low.

Please get in touch with Gastroenterologist in your city. You may need some investigations like liver function test, ultrasound of abdomen as per his advice to look for the cause and proper treatment.

Please do not take antibiotics on your own. Again you are taking tablets for 3 days only which is not the complete course.

Take good nourishing diet, XXXXXXX in fruits and vegetables. Do not skip meals and avoid eating out side food like junk food etc.

Please consult a doctor.

I hope this helps. Please write again if you have something more to ask.