Tired all the time, done tests and medical consultation with no answers. Help!

I can't figure out why on earth I am tired all the time. I have been to many doctors and had many tests done, but no answers. I am so tired of being tired. Help!
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 2 hours later

Your history states that most of your blood tests are normal.

But first make sure that you do not have any source of active bleeding like piles or excessive menstrual flow since it is anemia which usually presents as tiredness.

If anemia is clearly excluded, then other conditions which would present as tiredness would be Depression and malnutrition.

I suggest you to adapt healthy life style by doing regular exercise and supplement your diet with more fruits and vegetables XXXXXXX in antioxidants like vitamin A , C and E.

Drink more water to detoxify waste products and other important aspect is to take food in small quantities frequently which is helpful in providing energy continuously rather than eating more at a time which makes you tired since you will not have enough energy levels for the whole day.

If you are depressed or stressed, try to come out of the situations by dealing with the root cause and diverting yourself in recreational activities and by taking good rest since they are also responsible for tiredness. Yoga and meditation will also help you.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Tired all the time, done tests and medical consultation with no answers. Help! 31 minutes later
So everything you have said I have done.

I have been proven that I am not anemic. I am not depressed at all. I am not malnutritioned.

I have already (2 years ago) adapted myself to a healthy life style. I eat tons of fruits and veggies throughout the day. I eat red meat only on occasion. I cut out white processed foods almost completely. The only sugary foods that I eat are occasional chocolate chip cookie or Ice occasional I mean once every two-three weeks.

I exercise three time a week (hard core) for 1.5 hours. I drink 8 oz of water 4-6x per day.

I have even changed jobs to eliminate the great amount of stress I was experiencing.

So all this combined with all my normal test results leaves me frustrated as to what to do next. I have no idea what more I can do.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 32 minutes later

Nice to see you again.

If all doctors excluded through reports that you are not having any illness,I suggest you to consult a psychiatrist without hesitation.

It is also very important to consult him for his valuable advise and be counseled and it does not mean that you are mentally ill.

There are conditions which psychiatrist needs to handle when a patient has still a problem persisting despite normal reports.

It needs good history and examination and appropriate counseling.

Do not go down and you would surely do well.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Tired all the time, done tests and medical consultation with no answers. Help! 27 minutes later
Your answer makes no sense to me. Serves me right for trying to go the cheap way in trying to get even one more idea of what could be going on. Thanks, but no thanks. Your answer is not accepted.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 30 hours later

I sincerely hope to help you with what you are going through.

I have gone through your description, the important points in your history are.

1. 24 year old lady with complaints of being tired all the time.

2. You have undergone numerous investigations, No abnormality found except low vitamin D.

3. Not depressed, Not anemic, with a healthy diet habit.

4. You do exercise regularly.

Based on the information provided by you I would like to make a few observations.

1. If all your investigations till date were normal, You are unlikely to be suffering from any serious illness.

2. You have mentioned that you are taking a fiber XXXXXXX and vitamin XXXXXXX diet, and low in sugars. With this respect I would like to tell you that the energy required by an adult female is in the range of 1600 to 1800 Kcal per day. This energy is derived from the food you eat. An ideal diet should consist of 10-20 percent of the energy from fats, 20-30 percent of the energy from proteins and the rest from carbohydrates(sugars).

So it is essential that you include adequate amounts of carbohydrates also in your diet. You can make a diet plan best suited for you in consultation with a nutritionist/dietitian.

3. It is possible that the doctors you have consulted might not have been able to diagnose your problem.

The reason why I'm considering this possibility is because there are an endless number of conditions which may result in chronic fatigue(tiredness).

To list a few conditions which can cause tiredness over a long duration

a. Autoimmune diseases such as celiac disease, multiple sclerosis, and spondyloarthropathy.

b. Blood disorders such as anemia and hemochromatosis.

c. Endocrine diseases like diabetes mellitus and hypothyroidism.

d. Depression and other mental disorders that feature depressed mood.

e. Sleep deprivation or sleep disorders.

f. Eating disorders, which can produce fatigue due to inadequate nutrition and many more.

My intention here is not to confuse you, but to simply give you an idea how difficult it is to make a diagnosis in your case.

To make a diagnosis in your case and to plan a treatment you would need to undergo many more investigations specific to rule out the a myriad of causes of tiredness.

Here I would like to inform you with regret that without the possibility of a physical exam I will not be able to give any further information of value to you.

My suggestion to you is, Consult with your primary care physician or an internist who can coordinate the work up and treatment plan with a holistic approach.

I will try my best to give you any possible information in case you have any further queries.