Tips to administer Albendazole?

In my last query you had informed Albendazole as the drug for getting rid of worms in my 4 year old daughter's stomach. Can you also let me know how I can administer the drug?

Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 2 hours later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic.

Diagnosis is an important aspect of any treatment. Did you confirm the worm infestation by stool examination as told by me earlier. Because the treatment will depend upon the type of worms. For some type of worms single dose will be adequate. For others, the drug needs to be repeated. Additional precautions like purging, post drug fasting (fasting after taking the drug), fatty meal will be necessary depending upon the type of worms.

For round worms and hookworms Albendazole is given as a single 'bed time' dose of 400 mg for a child of 4 years. No precautions like purging is necessary. Do not give it after a heavy meal. Very light meal is preferable. There is no need to repeat the dose. However you should repeat the dose for Enterobius Worm infestation.

Albendazole is usually well tolerated. But it can cause nausea, stomach pain, headache or dizziness. It is imperative that you confirm the diagnosis through stool examination before giving the drug.

Children belong to special category and as far as possible we should avoid giving unnecessary drugs to them. I will be happy if you could furnish me the stool test report before you proceed.

Please feel free to write back to me for further clarifications. I would be glad to help.
Have a Good Day. Warm regards to your daughter.