Tip of tongue and lips feels numb. Cause and treatment?

The tip of my tongue feels kind of numb since a couple of weeks.
The same applies for the center of my lips.
It feels like I burnt my tongue, however without the usual pain.
What could have caused this and how can I correct it?
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Correction depends on cause sir, listed below

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

I can understand how this can cause concern; but I should rightfully start by stating that a simple presentation like numbness on part or complete tongue along with involvement of the lips, can at times be related to more serious conditions like a stroke. The only reason why I have started my response with this is because doctors would like to rule out the worst, and also because of your age.

If you have not experienced any trauma recently, no dental visits, tooth extractions, root canal procedures, implants, or consumed anything hot or acidic; such a presentation should be considered an emergency. But, if you can related to any of the above mentioned causes, then with a simple and short visit to your doctor, you should be fine. In most of the above listed cases, the presentation disappears on its own.

But, if you cannot relate to any of the above causes, then a stroke would be suspected, and further investigation and possibly hospitalization would be mandatory.

For this reason, I would urge you to schedule an appointment with your doctor an seek medical attention, to rule out the worst. I hope this information helps sir. I hope and pray this is nothing serious, and you recover at the earliest. Wishing you a long and beautiful life. Please also feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

God bless.