Tip of toe randomly aching. Had bunionectomy. Feels like hammer is smashed and having gout. Is it related?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
the tip of my toe randomly aches for no reason. I had bunionectomy on my left foot in 2005. It will feel like a hammer just smashed it. Then the pain will completely vanish. This will happen several times a day, or not at all. I have a history of drinking and want to know gout can be ruled out. does doctor use a needle to extract some fluid to test for uric acid content, or is there a different way to diagnose gout? I'm 37 and hoping that it is not gout, but am prepared for the bad news. Is 37 too young for gout? Or does it just depend?
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 25 hours later

Thanks for writing to us,

I have studied your case with diligence. The symptoms might be due to gout. And yes, there are tests available to confirm it.

1. It can be diagnosed by taking blood sample and check levels of uric acid. High uric acid levels is suggestive of gout.
2. Another more specific way is to aspirate joint fluid and look for gouty crystals under microscope which may appear in late stages of gout.

Gout can occur at any age. And at 37 alcohol consumption makes you prone to gout. But there is nothing to worry much as ample medication are available for treatment of gout,

I hope that I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help you further.